top of page
IMG_2730_edited.jpg

Legend of Prince Boguslav's Cloaks

History of the Tower

The tower's name is derived from "Brama Panieńska (the Virgin's Gate) erected in 1307 and leading to a Cistercian monastery. 

From 1723 the tower reportedly served as a place of detention of convicts.

Medieval walls were demolished after the construction of modern fortifications (Forts of Leopold, Wilhelm, Prussia) in the years 1724-1740, i.e. at the beginning of the Prussian rule.

As the time passed by, it was closely confined with tenement houses and nearly forgotten. Probably at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, in connection with the liquidation of Leopold's Fort and the construction of the Haken's Terraces (today's Wały Chrobrego ), the top section of the tower was taken down while its base used as foundations for an octagonal tenement house . The tenement house lasted until 1944, when it got destroyed as a result of air bombardments along with the remaining part of Szczecin's Old Town district. It was rebuilt and unveiled after clearing up the war rubble in Podzamcze.

 

In 1954, the Tower was entered on the list of historic monuments .

Even the oldest residents of Szczecin call it "Baszta Siedmiu Płaszczy" (the Tower of Seven Cloaks). Historians link the tower's name to the guild of tailors, who sponsored its construction. Yet, according to a legend the origins of the tower's name are quite different. It is said to date back to the rule of Prince Boguslav of Pomerania. The legend recounts the following events: once upon a time the Prince decided to set on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. As part of preparations for the quest, expensive cloth was purchased for Prince's apparel. The Prince wished to have seven coats tailored for the journey and the task was delegated to the court tailor. The tailor busily sat down to work. When the tailor's wife noticed the magnificent cloth intended for Prince's coats, she went into such ruptures that she persuaded her husband to make an outfit also for her. Not to disappoint his wife the tailor cut the cloth so sparingly that he managed to make the seven coats ordered by Prince Bogusław and a dress for his wife. The entire court admired quest magnificent craftsmanship and texture of Prince's new robes. During his quest Boguslav also caused general awe. Upon his return from the pilgrimage, the Western-Pomerania ruler recounted with pride all his experiences from the journey and was generous with praise for the tailor. One day, however, in the castle's courtyard someone noticed a woman wearing a dress made from the same cloth as Prince's coats. Soon it was established that it was the court tailor's wife, which was promptly reported to the Prince. The Prince summoned the wretched tailor, who owned up to the theft. As a penalty, the tailor was imprisoned in the tower near the castle where he was kept for half a year on bread and water making robes for the court for no payment in return. In the meantime, the tailor's wife was "consoled" by a young shoemaker. So much for the legend. Is it true? Who knows?

Baszta old.jpeg
w05.jpg

Baszta at present

The tower has always been a landmark in Szczecin's landscape. It can be seen by almost everyone entering the city by the Castle Route, both guest and tourists. Despite damages, the tower has still retained its ambience and charisma in eyes of many. It is a link between history and modern times. The plans were to open the tower for city’s residents and installing tourist information points in its interior. On May, 13th, 2004, the tower was acquired by president of BASZTA - Piotr Droński. In accordance with an earlier announcement, on the 700th anniversary of its creation, he organized the grand opening ceremony. Especially grand, since it was accompanied by the very first wedding ceremony. After a few years we took up a huge challenge, which was turning the tower into the unique hotel. Today many guests and clients can benefit from its hospitality.

bottom of page